59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Delightful Colaco family


Many thanks to my classmate, David Colaco, for sharing details of his delightful family with me.

David has now retired having had a 30 year stint with BT. Wife Jane married David in 1971.

The Colaco family is another, like the Hayeem family, that contributed so much to the cultural and sporting traditions of Cathedral. Michael, David's elder brother, was one of the finest soprano's that the school has ever seen. David was also a great singer. Both were always in lead positions in the school musicals.

David's real excellence was his boxing talent. He was probably the youngest Cathedralite to win the Western India Championship at his age and weight. David also won the School Cross Country Champioship at Jogeshwari a couple of times in his group. It was this stamina that led him excel in boxing. David was the shortest prefect and so, he says, was given charge of the juniors in school.

Alex, the third brother, sadly passed away of a heart attack on 7th June 2003. Basil, the fourth, was probably the youngest Colaco in school at that time. And there was one more brother, whose name skips me at the moment, who had probably not yet got to school when I was there. A cousin of the Colaco's, Maurice Belacourt, was a fine hockey and football player, making the First Eleven even while he was in the 9th standard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi ~~ Thank you so much for bringing back wonderful memmories.
My best friend in school was Alex Colaco , and I am saddened to hear of Alex's demise.My condolences to all the family.
The youngest brother's name is Cecil.
I remember the Colacos very well, including their parents Dr.and Mrs Colaco who were most hospitable to me , both in Bombay and in England when I visited them when I was a marine engineer at sea. Hello to Maurice Belcourt and his sister Sandra as well - both terific sports persons.
I too loved sports,and represented our school in hockey,football,athletics and boxing.
Thanks again
Aby Benjamin