59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Two Cathedralites to remember

It is sad to hear of the passing away of Cathedralites, whatever age they are or whatever era they belonged to. Each one of them has a wonderful history associated with their lives at school and thereafter.

I pay tribute to two have passed along. Through this page I pass along my condolences to the families of these friends from the past.

Dear Jacob,

I have been informed by my friend, Reuben Solomon ,with whom I am presently holidaying with in Manchester, that David Sasoon of the (1963 / 64 ) batch sadly passed away in London in June 2006.

He was a practising accountant and apparently passed away after a sudden heart attack.

We all remember David as the sweet and lovable boy of short stature, but I have no other way of describing him) who was loved by one and all in school.

Do you remember him ?

This is just for your information.

Regards

Adil Ghandy


I certainly remember David who was probably in the 7th Standard when I was in the 11th.

As Adil as described, he was a very lovable youngster. I request Adil to convey our condolences to any of his family members that he or Rueben may have contact with.

Dear Jacob,

I'm sure you remember Kali Mehta.

He was an old boy of the school, a great cricketer. He had played for the Parsis in the Pentangulars, former president of the Bombay Gymkhana and he used to coach us in cricket.

Surely you must also remember his shapeless hat, blood shot eyes and a very hard throw in! You will also recall that we played in the Kanga League together.

Kali and my son Samir lived on the same floor of a building on Queen's Road.

Kali passed away on Monday 31st July in hospital. He had kept very poor health in recent times especially after his wife passed away. He used to sit at a particular table at the Gym. till recently and when he could no longer go there, he used to sit on the porch of his buiding.

He broke a hip a short while ago, and passed away on 31st July.

I have many very pleasant memories of Kali and I'm sure he will be missed greatly by his family and friends.

He is survived by a son and daughter.

I thought you would like to know.

56er Ubi


I remember Kali (I think his full initials were K. D. B. and he must have passed his High School in 1948) although he had left school well before I joined. (Unfortunately, he is not listed on our Alumni site!)

Not only would he turn up whenever the School First XI had a cricket match, but also played in the Old Boys vs School Cricket Matches. He would also turn up occasionally at the school nets and watch to see if there were any youngsters he could encourage. I went to see him play when the Old Boys were playing in one of the lower divisions of the Kanga League.

Thank you Ubi for informing me of his demise and I would be grateful if you could convey our deepest condolences to his family members from many 59ers who will remember this great Cathedralite.

No comments: