59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, June 16, 2006

Romesh Velu passes away

It is not long since I reported on the passing of Charles Velu.



Today, I have the onerous task of reporting the shocking news that Romesh Velu, son of Charles Velu, the School and the St. Thomas Cathedral Chuch Choir Master when I was there, passed away in England.

63er Monty Wilson in Canada received the info and sent it to me along with a photograph of a reunion held a few days before this tragic event.



63er Monty received it from Cecil Colaco (extreme left in the picture). Romesh is the second from the right.

Romesh Velu was born on 3 May 1950 and died on 6 June 2006.

Many wondered how I had not carried this news earlier on the blog. The reason is rather simple - Romesh was my informant about the happenings in the Velu family!

I remember the two little boys, Romesh and Sushil. They were the pride and joy of their parents. They used to come to the church choir practice and played with us bigger children during the short breaks. Romesh must have been in the 4th Standard when I left school.

Romesh came into my email circuit after the passing away of his father, and it was he that sent me the photo of the plaque commemorating his father.

The funeral will be held at Gwent Crematorium, Treherbert Road, Croesyceiliog, CWMBRAN. [Tel: 01633 482784] on Friday 23 June 2006 at 2pm.

Sushil, Romesh's brother, thinks that Romesh would have preferred that any donations are made to the charity which helps the street children in Mumbai. Details about this will be available later. A memorial service in Birmingham is being planned for sometime in the next few months.

May Romesh's soul rest in peace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

I thought you might like to know that the people in the photo from left to right are: Cecil Colaco, Pierre D'Avoine, Michael Anderson, John Berkeley-Hill, Romesh Velu, and Vijay Dharia. All of us except Pierre were in the same class: Michael and Romesh were in a band together while at school, along with John Pestonjee and Jungoo Chowna.

On a more sombre note, the memorial service for Romesh is at Birmingham Cathedral on Saturday 14th September 2006.

Anonymous said...

I am shocked to hear that Romesh has passed away - I have not seen him for many years, but he was once a good friend of mine. I was searching for him on the net as I wanted to contact him as I am going to visit Mumbai - I knew him many years ago in Birmingham UK. My thoughts are with his friends and family.If any one can post any details of his 'later life' I would be very interested.

Anonymous said...

I knew Romesh only from about 1970 when he was in the RAF posted in Stanmore UK and used to come and play the bass guitar in a choir we had going in a church in Southall. I kept in regular contact with him ever since then, last speaking to him only a couple of months before he died.
He was a most excellent person and had a charisma that was hard to resist - to say nothing of a magnificent singing voice. I miss him greatly. Nice to see him in the photo posted above of the reunion.

Anonymous said...

I am Alistair G Velu, S/o the late Samuel Sutherland Velu s/o late Paul Velu b/o late Samuel Velu F/o late Charles Velu. We have not been in touch with these relatives for quite some time but had a far away touch with the brothers of the late Christy Charles Velu i.e. Late Ejner Velu, late Archie Velu and we don't know if Carlyle Veluis with us or in his heavenly home - I really would appreciate it if we could catch up with the remnants of the late Charles Velu's family if possible.
My email id alistervelu@yahoo.co.in or ag.velu@sampark.info

Anonymous said...

I am Alistair G Velu, S/o the late Samuel Sutherland Velu s/o late Paul Velu b/o late Samuel Velu F/o late Charles Velu. We have not been in touch with these relatives for quite some time but had a far away touch with the brothers of the late Christy Charles Velu i.e. Late Ejner Velu, late Archie Velu and we don't know if Carlyle Veluis with us or in his heavenly home - I really would appreciate it if we could catch up with the remnants of the late Charles Velu's family if possible.
My email id alistervelu@yahoo.co.in or ag.velu@sampark.info

Unknown said...

carlyle velu uncle is still alive in vellore Tamil nadu. My father is very close friend to him, my dad passed away in 2003. we were also neighbours
Even few years back he was riding scooter at the age 75+. If you need his phone number, email me victormolten@gmail.com. I am living in Canada btw, My name is victor