59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fragments From My Memory!

I received this interesting email from 56er Ubi.

Dear Jacob,

I ran into (59er) Anil Ruia at the Bombay Gym this afternoon. Had a brief chat about this great 59ers effort!!

Reading about the origins of the SeventhHeaven,do you recall that C.J.Olliver used to edit and publish, a school cyclostyled "paper"called the "CHRONICILL", I am sure the pun was always intended!

It was a great effort, full of news with a CJO twist to it! I really wonder if any old student has kept a copy of any of the issues? It would indeed make for delightful reading.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that in 58, I had decided to put prefects in charge of classes on a "permanent" basis. That is to say that a particular prefect assigned to a particular class would be responsible for any and everything that that class did or did not do.

I remember that Nalin Dharia volunteered to take charge of your class (I don't recall which section) and how he fought with all of us to defend you guys on every issue and stand up for you all in all that you did or did not do!

He regarded you all as his "chicks" and he played the mother hen perfectly!!

He now lives in Kent,England. He has had several heart attacks, has a grown up girl called Renuka.

This is just for your information.

Regards,

Ubi.


1. I do not reacall the "Chronicill". Sadly, CJO never taught me. I wonder why?

2. I I reacll Nalin and that he was indeed our Prefect till Ashok and I were made Prefects at the end of the first term of 1958. I do not remember whether Nalin remained as our "Prefect" after that.


1958: Ernest, Nalin and me.


Nalin is a wonderful personality and I remember him pulling Ernest Haskell's leg in the cricket tents!

Would be wonderful to link up with Nalin again if he is on the internet. Otherwise, please wish him well and tell him that as fellow Savageite I hold him still in high regard.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

1 comment:

Yesh said...

Indeed I remember the Chronicle brought out by CJ. Unfortunately I do not have any copies. CJ is also
remebered for starting the Lemon Drop Cricket and the Free Booters Football tournaments, both played with a tennis ball. I last met CJ when he was the Principal of a School at Byculla. By then he had married his sweetheart of earlier years. She had married someone else. CJ had to wait till her husband died before marrying her!! Yesh