59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Sunday, January 14, 2007

SCOOP - Guess what I got today

At 5 am today morning, my son-in-law arrived from Newcastle. The first thing he handed me when I picked him up from the Oulu Railway Station (he flew from Newcastle to Stanstead and then to Tampere in South Finland, and took the overnight train to Oulu) was a white cover addressed to my daughter.

When I opened it there was a letter from my Class Teacher in 1959, John Billington, signed with the strong lined powerful signature I remember from our school days.

The letter addressed to Joanna explained he was sending a magazine to her so that her husband, Tony, could carry it from Newcastle to hand over personally to me.



It was a copy of the December 1961 issue of The Borderer!

I have just less than 3 weeks to digitise this so that I can share most of it with my broader audience. It has some absolutely great stuff inside and mention of many many of our 59ers.


Champion House 1961 - Palmer

Here is just one example of what it contains - a shot of the Champion House with Cyrus Gazdar as House Captain. Sitting in the front row are 59ers Ashok Kapur and Trevor Newnes.

I am going to try some radical ways of putting this magazine online. Although I should digitise it in time, it may be a few weeks before I decide how it will appear online. Wait for something original AND SIMPLE.

Tony goes back to Newcastle on the 2nd of February. I want to ensure that the Issue is carried back personally to John.

Thank you John for sharing this with us. This is an essential part of my "Nostalgia Unlimited" programme.

1 comment:

Yesh said...

Dear Jacob,
The Palmer Hose photo was too small for me to recognise the students but recognise Mr. Thomson, who was also House master in my time. Palmer was the cock house in my year 1949 too but had become the champion house after a very long time. That year we won by a solitary point ahead of Savage because the swimming contests were cancelled br\ecause of an incidence of polio.

Yesh