59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Several Cathedralites check in

I am so blessed that so many of you check in regularly to give me the news.

This last week I had long and newsy emails from 56erUbi (Harminder Uberoi), 57er Tony (Ashok Jaitly), 62er Monty (Wilson), 60er Cynthia (née Abbot and Monty's wife) and of course, one of my most important correspondents, our very own Willie (Wiliam Shiri).

Willie gave me news of someone I have thought a lot about in the last 46 years , 57er Badni (Behram Badniwalla).

Dear Jacob,

If you haven't heard from me in a while it is because nothing worth mentioning has happened.here.

Just today I had an e-mail with a couple of old photos from Behram Budniwalla ( ' 57 ) who got my e-address from Gracie Hayeem. He looks about the same he did 40 + yrs. ago, and so do those thick glasses.

You would definitely remember him as the only kid in school then, on crutches.

I must ask him to get in touch with you and the Seventh Heaven. He has retired, (was a medical doctor) and now lives in Pune.

He wrote a beautiful letter recounting all he did in the intervening years.

I was able to recall many faces, and with some effort, a few names in the 1955 picture Behram sent..( It is the second attached). You might remember and may even spot a few like: Andy Gordon, Clive Ciel, Herbert Vaney among the "females" in front, and at the back, Abey Hayeem (heroine of the musical), Jangu(?) Kaka, next to him yours sincerely (whom Pushpa couldn't make out because of too much spirit gum on the twirling mustache ! ), next Tom Holter (?), (late) Mr. McKenzie (his younger brother joined the staff just after he died whom you'd remember better), Michael Colaco (mother of the heroine) and others whose names have faded from my memory. In fact I was amazed I could recall these many names !

Didn't know any one had colour-pictures those days. This one has promptly gone into my collection !

Vijay Nayar e-mailed me some weeks ago to say he was passing through Toronto. He was to land here in the morning and the connecting flight was about 10 hrs later. It was arranged that I pick him up from the airport and he was to have lunch with us. We live 15 min. from the Airport. Hasnain was going to join us for lunch but was called unfortunately away the last moment.

I was awaiting Vijay's confirmation of the plan, but there was no word from him --- -- and none since !. !

I was glad I didn't try to make Hasnain change his plans.

By the way, Jacob, if you have inf. on the whereabouts of David Eagan who was on the CBS staff in the late 50ies, I would like to know.

We've had a flood of visitors and overnight guests and have had not much time for my new love, the clarinet ! ...or for emailing.

Fond regards.

Willie


Besides Willie, we have to thank Badni and Tom for these pictures.

School heart throb of the 50's, Miss India

School heart throb of the 50's, Miss India,
Fleur Ezekiel with the luck guy who caught her, Manu Mandani


Class photo in someone's home

Class photo in someone's home of 57ers in 1956


Will someone please give me info about as many as possible in this photo.

Badni & Sheila

The caption tells all


What wonderful news that Badni became a doctor. He was such a great guy in school and took part in everything. He was a friend of everyone. I remember him so so well. I do hope he gets in touch.

And finally, the magic moment of the Curtain Call

Curtain Call - A-Lad In & Out

Curtain Call - A-Lad In & Out


And after all the identification made by Willie, there is just one more I can add. The dishy doll in the pink dress and veil sitting in the far left corner is NONE OTHER THAN ME!

News from the others who wrote in with lots and lots of news will follow in my subsequent blog entries.

No comments: