59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, October 21, 2005

Budni checks in from Pune

I was truly delighted this afternoon when I received this email.

Dear Matthan,

My name is Dr. Behram T. Badhniwalla (Wilson House Batch 57). In school I was 'Budni' !

I used to walk on crutches during our green years. Of course, I left my disability behind in 1959-60 (Praise be to the Good Lord).

Today, my wife, Carmie, and I have retired and live in Pune.

From all the Cathedralites of our generation, and many have met u, the common factor is we both are holding on to our flocks!

We have regular get-together of the Pune Cathedralites and shall revert later with more information!

Cheers for Now

Budni


By the way, Budni, I remember you called me Matthan in school (one of the very few who did), but my name today for Cathedralites of all age groups is either Jacob, Jake, or Dead Chicken!

57er Budni was very popular as, despite his crutches, he was always interested to be in the thick of things. I am so glad that he overcame that disability and took up the noble medical profession. I am sure, like Budni, each one of us have many things to thank the Good Lord for!

I am grateful for the picture that I received in his email of a party at Budni's pad for fellow 57rs.

s7ers chez Carmie and Budni

In the picture, at the far right are Kamal and husband, 57er Sunil Sahni, who visited us here in Oulu two summers ago. Carmie is standing in the centre with that ferocious looking tiger skin dress, but obviously purring like a tame cat to guard her black camera case (brilliant deduction as she would not have been carrying a handbag in her own pad). Budni stands behind her to the right. He certainly has very broad shoulders as can be seen from his arms being draped around the shoulders of two huge fellows! Sort of indicates that Budni may have been an orthopaedic surgeon. (Am I sounding something like Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes?)

If I am not mistaken, Londoner architect and musician and singer, 57er Abe Hayeem, is standing between Budni and Sunil. This picture must have been taken when Abe and his group of fabulous musicians toured India earlier this year. Abe (voice, tambourine) sent me a beautiful album of the music of his group called "Treasures of the Rivers of Babylon". It is something I listen to often. The group, besides Abe, consists of Sara Manasseh (leader, voice, dumbuk), David Burman (keyboard), Solomon Elias (mandolin), Saeed Nathan (Druze & Indian flutes, sba'ten), Barry Solomon (voice, oboe, cor anglais), Edward Solomon (voice), Pamela Solomon (voice), Solly Solomon (voice), Ruth Tarzi (voice), Narges Torshizi (tombak), Susan Verney (violin). I believe they have other Cathedralites in this group. You can see and hear of this visit at at their website.

Abe and his sisters and brother (Vilma, Sophie, Gracie and Ellis) have been my very regular correspondents. As many will remember we lost their brother, 49er Benjy, a short while ago.

Others in the photograph certainly look very very familiar, but as dementia has set in, I am sure someone will help me out!

Thank you Budni for checking in.

No comments: