59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, April 28, 2006

New series by demand...

Chemistry Laboratory Composite, 59er Hasnain Chinwala / Chhaya Purwar collection

The Chemistry lab, a Composite made by from photographs
from the 59er Hasnain Chinwala / Chhaya Purwar collection


I have included this picture as it was where my professional career was born under the great guidance of our teacher, O. A Gregory. My future life as a Polymer Chemist and Technologist (the word I coined many years ago for this was Polymerist) took root here and for that I can say I am very very grateful.

I remember many fond memories of the work I did in this laboratory identifying elements in compounds with my partners, Vinay Dabholkar and Sudhir Anand.

Sudhir did not stay in Chemistry, beng now one of the world's leading Economists. He is the Professor of Economics at the University of Oxford and and Fellow of St Catherine's College, Oxford. Many of the papers that led to Amartaya Sen being awarded the Nobel prize in Economics were co-authored with Sudhir.

Sudhir Anand, then and now
Sudhir Anand,
then and now


Sudhir is a world recognized development microeconomist. He has published widely on inequality, poverty, and undernutrition; human development; population ethics; health economics; and the theory and measurement of economic inequality. After finishing graduate studies, Sudhir joined the Faculty of Economics at Oxford University. He was on the faculty at the Harvard University School of Public Health as a Visiting Professor in 1993-94, and as Adjunct Professor thereafter. From 1997 to 1999, he served as Acting Director of the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies where he led a research initiative exploring the theory and measurement of health equity. Sudhir chaired the WHO committee on global health systems performance assessment. He received his MA in mathematics and D.Phil. in economics from the University of Oxford. But remember - he is above all a Cathedralite and one of our greatest 59ers.

And wwas that promise shown when he was at school? Just look at this board from the school, another picture taken by our 59er hasnain!

Academic Achievement, from photographs from the 59er Hasnain Chinwala / Chhaya Purwar collection
1959 S(udhir) Anand, Academic Achievement,
from photographs from the 59er Hasnain Chinwala / Chhaya Purwar collection


Good thing Sudhir stayed away from Chemistry to give me a reasonable chance to reach where I did in my profession! :-)

This leads me to a new series that I have planned. Thanks to the co-operation of our own Physics Teacher Willie (William Shiri) and 59er Hasnain, both living in Toronto, Canada, I have been able to compile a set of photographs of the staff of our time.

To, metaphorically, explode this series here is a picture of Greg, our Chemistry Teacher who lives with his wife, Margret, in Canada.

O. A. Gregory - Chemistry
O. A. Gregory - Chemistry,
Photo edited from William Shiri / 59er Hasnain Chinwalla submission


Those of you who asked me for these photographs of staff members can download them directly from this page.

If you do not want the the Sepia tone which I have used to age these photographs, please email me. I will send you the untouched images. Also, if you need a particular size, pleaase let me know. I shall again try to oblige so long I can keep a reasonable resolution, if you intend to print these pictures.

If any of you have more recent pictures of our staff members, please send them to me so that I can get a better coverage in my photo archive.

No comments: