59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Is This One Chance In A Billion?


Cathedralite mathematicians (especially Bhupinder Singh Anand) - get your calculators out and give me the chances of this occurring:

I have had the AOL Internet Messenger installed for years and my user ID is jacobmatthan. However, I have never ever used this programme for communication with anyone - repeat, NOT ANYONE.

Last night, as I urgently needed to have an in-depth discussion with a friend in Bangalore, the one who is setting up the Electric Scooter project here in Finland, I asked him to install the AIM chat software so that we could chat. He downloaded it and managed to install it by about noon today. He sent me an email that he was going on-line. Then a few minutes later we were discussing some issues as I had a meeting with his lawyer later on.

Just as I got past the first three messages, another message appeared on my screen from another AOL user. He asked:

Jacob? Are you there? from Sweden?

As I have that person's email address I immediately recognised who it was and was soon chatting with him so much so that despite my going out to a couple of meetings, we finally talked to each other over the phone - him in Washington D. C. and me in Oulu, Finland.

It appears that Arvind Thadani, Savage House, my House Vice Captain in 1959, my colleague and protector on the hockey field as one of the most dependable full backs in the game, was online on aol and he came across my userid as I was talking over the chat line with Anil!!

What is the probablity of this happening?

Another pleasant duty to perform - to wish Shabir Ahmedbhoy, 59er, now in Karachi, a very very happy 60th birthday from all our fellow 59ers. We are all thinking of you Shabir and when you down that cake - do think of us starving classmates!! I have pleasure in putting up this picture of Shabir at the 1989 59er reunion at the Willingdon Club - photo taken by Annikki, my better half and with me in my younger days after a lovely vacation at the KANHA NATIONAL PARK. (Picture will be posted later!!)

No comments: