59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Two 60ers from North America check in

I had this email from a 60er, Ravi Modak, Savage-ite.

Hi Jacob,

Whatever are you doing in Finland? Nokia?

I trust you'll remember me - your newsy news was passed on to me by my brother Sanjay.

We live in Tupelo, Mississippi - home of Elvis Presley - only claim to fame! Run my own business in Industrial Food flavour mixes - R&D.

Saffron International is it's official name for Spice And Food Flavour Organization.

When you have time let's hear from you.

Best regards

Ravi Modak

I remembered, as besides school, Ravi as he used to come to church on Sunday with his parents. I do not quite remember his younger brother Sanjay. So I replied:
Hi Ravi,

Police Inspector's Modak's son I presume?

What about your mom and dad. I have thought of them many times.

Started Seventh Heaven for my 59ers and it proved a great success as a web page. Have transformed it now into a blog which I update every couple of days. Separated my blogs into my various interests. Great feedback from Cathedralites of all ages.

When you have some time to waste, go to the Cathedralite blog and start at March 1996 entries and you will see a lot about many Cathedralites you will know.

Best regards

Jacob

Quick reply from Ravi:
Dear Jacob,

Ta for your prompt response and all the news!

Yes - Police Modak's son. I will be visitng them next week in Poona where they live - my wife Melalie is there - we shall meet as ships passing in the night. Running a business means at least one of us should be here at all times if possible.

Class of 1960 had a grand reunion in 2000 which was also the 140th year of Cathedral. Nusly Pocha (medical Dr.) if you remember him did a grand job of arranging it.

He tried a rerun for last year but gave up - a bitter pill for him to swallow.

I have some years to retire but my business is such that not only is it fun but it has its monetary rewards as well. As long as I can taste and smell, I shall continue.

Blog sounds interesting - will look into it. If you travel to the US please contact us.

Regards to you and your family.

Ravi

To which I replied:
Hi Ravi,

Give my very best regards to your parents whom I remember very well.

I was wrong to say Inspector Modak - if I am not wrong he was Commissioner Modak!!

Know about your successful reunion - have many photographs from it.

Lots of Cathedralites settled in Pune - all year groups from 54 to 69ers!! Many in touch with me.

Regards

Jacob

And this was Ravi's reply:
Dear Jacob,

You're right - he was Commissioner and later became Inspector General Maharashtra (now upgraded to Director General). He did a 2 year stint deputised as I.G.P. Jammu and Kashmir back in 66-67. It was fun going there for the summer hols from IIT Bombay.

Can you by any chance find a list of the 60's group in Poona?

If so would appreciate a list and their e-mails.

Thanks and stay in touch.

Ravi

Must say it was lovely to tie up with an old friend. But then I had an email from another 60er who I always thought was one of the great Cathedralites in the same mould as Pamela Ballantine:
Hi Jacob,

It was wonderful that you contacted Monty out of the blue. I enjoyed reading the
link Monty sent me re your Blog articles. Where do you get the time to keep such
an amazing site?

Keep up your excellent work.

Thank you for being so complimentary, but unfortunately I cannot remember you from
the photograph, please send me a school picture so that I can refresh my mind.

On Sunday past we went to visit Bill & Pushpa Shiri (ex school teacher) and had a wonderful trip down memory lane, (albums were out). We took down a few names and phone numbers to contact. (Christine (née Brown) & Cliff Haamill. Mr. Chinwalla and Mr. Gregory. It will be fun speaking to them over the next few weeks.

I am in contact with Joan (nee Edwards) & Kevin Dean, also Vernon Williams. If, you do not have their contact information let me know and I will forward to you in my next e-mail.

About 7 years ago I went back to school, received my AMI Diploma and have been a Montessori teacher for the past 5 years. The career change has made a difference in my entire life, working with children 3 to 6 years of age. Sometimes, I wish I had made the career change many years ago, but I know it is only forward that I must project myself!

Imagine you must be enjoying your retirement and no doubt your home in Finland must be "a perpetual inn of past happiness" with old friends visiting. If you have time keep in touch.

Bye for now,

Sincerely

Cynthia (née Abbott) Wilson

To which I was pleased to reply:
Dear Cynthia,

In the blog entry for 13th December 2004 you will see three people circled. The one who is sitting next to Abe Hayeem is me. Go on to the entry of 28th January 2005 and you will see a picture of me 8 years on when I got married to the most beautiful girl in this universe in a small town called Shrewsbury in England where I was working as a Research Scientist after completing my second degree in London.

I was in the Cathedral church choir (1954 - 1959) - when I moved to do my University education (St, Stephen's Ciollege in Delhi), Savage House Captain in 1959, School hockey goalkeeper two years running (1958 and 1959) and one of the few who got appointed as Prefect already in the 10th Standard (1958).

Sadly, I was one of the few who cannot claim to be a full-blooded Cathedralite as I never got lifted by the seat of my pants by Pop and given the bacon slicer treatment, although I got dangerously close to it on quite a few occasions.

Beautiful women - and I do not ever mean just physical - beauty matures with age, and that is what I find in common between you and Anikki!! Your character, loving spirit, just shines through and I am sure that Monty and your children are enjoying just that.

I remember meeting a lady I have known since I was a small child, Margret Wilson from Bangalore, mother of Abner, Beverley, Cedric, Dinky (my classmate) and Zena in Bangalore when she was over 80 and she was truly beautiful as her eyes were always smiling. You will find a mention of that family in my blog entry of 17th March 2005 - My First Day at School.

Elizabeth, my sister, was Blue House Captain in 1962 (I think). I do not know whether you remember her. Very bossy girl. Still very bossy!!

We have around 1800 Cathedrlaites (from 1945 to 2005ers) reading the blog which I started way back in 1996 and have had it going in fits and starts. It has survived the test of time by its popularity, namely due to the inputs from around the world. Willie has been a regular contributor as also Hasnain and of late, even Chris. I checked my records and did not find Joan Edwards or Kevin Dean on the list. Joan Twist, now Joan Croft is on, but she was much senior, a 54er. Also Joan Myers, a 56er, now Densham, is on the list.

Please let me have their contacts and I will put them on my now very occasional mailings. Or you can just direct them to my blog which I update every couple of days.

I am an expert on Montessori education as Annikki finished her course and had a final result of 98%. Because she did not type, she would read out her tutorials to me and I would type it out on my computer - so I learnt all about Montessori teaching through that process. She read a couple of score books when doing that course. Many have asked me to put her tutorials online as it is really a truly Finnish piece of work - Finns only like to do things to a perfection!!

Love to the family.

Jacob - more commonly known as "the Dead Chicken" a truly earned nickname!!

So that was why I was called "Dead Chicken" - in the grave most of the time!

No comments: