59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, January 13, 2006

Knowing the New Year has arrived

In the old days I knew the New Year had arrived when our wedding anniversary was the following day, and I had no present packed for my better half.

After the Seventh Heaven has created this enormous Cathedralite network, I now know when the New Year is entrenched when the first birthday wish for the year is sent out. For many years this most enjoyable task has remained with sending out greetings to my dear friend, retired Captain of the Indian Navy, Vijay Shivdasani.

Ooky Elijah Elias, Vijay Nayar, Vijay Shivdasani

Three from our outstanding set of 59ers -
Elijah Elias (Ooky), Vijay Nayar, Vijay Shivdasani


I had for years been calling him as a retired Commander. Vijay, very diplomatically, told me quite recently that he was just a shade higher in the hierarchy - he had retired as a Captain in the Navy, after serving in the INS Vikrant, the Indian aircraft carrier. I have enjoyed his hospitality on this great ship and have actually been piped aboard!

Sucheeta and Vijay dining in a restaurant in Hong Kong
Sucheeta and Vijay dining in
a restaurant in Hong Kong


Vijay is married to a Cathedralite of the 61-62 era, Sucheeta. Sucheeta is a charming personality. I did not know Sucheeta while at school, but when I met her at their wedding in Mumbai in the 70s, I was charmed by this beautiful young lady. She has stayed as a special person in my list of friends as she oozes with charm and friendliness.

After his stint in the Indian Navy, Vijay moved to Hong Kong where he became a diamond dealer. He then decided to retire back to where all his friends and relatives were - Mumbai, and where he could have his daily dose of tennis. (Vijay, you should get together with another acquaintance who enjoys his tennis, the present Governor of Maharashtra, S. M. Krishna, a contact from my Bangalore days.)

I hope you will ring in the New Year by joining me in wishing this outstanding representative of us 59ers and a true Cathedralite who represents us 59ers year in and year out at the School Founders Day celebrations.

Happy birhday Vijay. I hope you will send us some recent photographs of us 59ers from Mumbai.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir
Capt. Vijay Shivdasani (veteran)
Kindly post a recent photo of family along with daughter as many are bygone to meet you on mail I'd dks203918@yahoo.co.in
Regards
DK Singh
Hon.LT.(Vetrn.)
I N

Unknown said...

Sir
Please call on 9665122302