59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Monday, January 09, 2006

Literacy vs Education

In the context of Elizabeth Cherian's article, 56er Ubi (HS Uberoi) raises the most important distinction between people - that we at Cathedral get an Education rather than just being made Literate. Ubi wrote:-

Regarding what Ms. Cherian has had to say and also the fund of goodwill to you fom Cathedralites across the globe trancending age groups, I can only say that most ex students of Cathedral probably never ever get used to being out of school, so strong is the influence and therefore the bonds that tie all Cathedralites to the old school. It always remains a long ago, far away Camelot.

The true value of Cathedral, as I recall, is the realisation of the diffrentiation between literacy and education. I would like to believe that we all leave to be better human beings, rather than just having past an examination.


This is absolutely true. I have many many friends and acquaintances around the world. What distingushes a friend from an acquaintance is this little detail.

A friend is always there for you.

Here is an extract from an issue of Newsy Notes dated 28th December 2001. (For the unintiated, Newsy Notes were the irregular emails I sent out to Cathedralites over the years before I brought all together on the blog.)

A Friend

A friend is like a flower, A rose to be exact,
Or maybe like a brand new gate That never comes unlatched.
A friend is like an owl, Both beautiful and wise.
Or perhaps a friend is like a ghost, Whose spirit never dies.
A friend is like those blades of grass You can never mow,
Standing straight, tall, and proud In a perfect little row.
A friend is like a heart that goes Strong until the end.
Where would we be in this world If we didn't have a friend?


I quote an example of just this morning.

I sent an email to a friend in Mumbai (who has been to Finland) that two young Finnish ladies from a Finnish NGO were arriving this evening. My friend has never met these Finns. Before I knew it, the accommodation had been arranged, the car was organised to pick them up from the airport, and their two days in Mumbai before they went on to Hyderabad were planned.

I am so scared to ask people anything, as this outpouring of love is so great, I feel very greatly embarrassed at times. In these days where time is money, it is strange that I have such "friends" who show their love in such an intense manner.

No comments: