59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, January 20, 2006

A nice email from Mehfooz

I just received this email from Mehfooz

Hello Jacob,

Belated Christmas and New Year greetings! Its good to be back after a hectic tour of the UK where my wife and I went to visit our children and then to Pakistan. For the last three months I was aloof from the computer and the first thing I did was to check on your blog.

Its amazing how many contacts have been established from so manyCcathedralites all over the globe. I was surprised that Ubi also made his entrance in the blog and brought back those good memories of the quad. I was associated with Ubi and his family (parents and sisters) during the school days as we lived quite close to each other. I have yet to find such great parents such as Ubi's.

Incidentally, my visit to the School in April 2004 was very nostalgic as it had been almost 43 years since I had last set foot on the quad. It did feature a vital part in all our lives during the 50’s and early 60’s. One can hardly keep count of the activities that were connected to this quad especially cricket and tennis-ball football (which Ubi reminded us of the “Free Booters’ League”).

Who can forget the times when one wanted to be the first to reserve the quad to play football during lunch sessions!

Then there was that unique tournament which was held (probably in ’59 or ‘60) to prove the football skills by way of participating in events such as heading the ball in a particular spot, trapping the ball, penalty shoot-outs, etc. I wonder if anyone remembers this event.

I stood in the middle of the quad visualizing myself as a student and wondered whether there was anything that could take me back to those good ole days!

Take care and God bless.

Warmest regards,
Mehfooz (Sheikh Zahur)


I hope that it is Seventh Heaven with such great reader participation as yours that takes you back to those good ole days!

Mehfooz, I remember the tournament about football skills - it started in 1959 thanks to Mr. W. H. Thompson. I believe it was repeated in 1960.

It is my belief that Noel Ezekiel won that tornament in 1959 with Viney Sethi coming second followed by Vijay Nayar. Anyone like to correct me?

Stay in touch Mehfooz and have a great year.

No comments: