59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Sunday, March 26, 2006

A TREASURE TROVE of nostalgia

After much waiting, I received this TREASURE TROVE prepared by 59er Hasnain Chinwala (usually refered to as Chin), from Canada.

I have a recent picture of Chin with our dear Physics Teacher, William Shiri (usually known as Willie), taken on Willie's 80th birthday, when Chin did all us 59ers the honours of delivering the card and the flowers, and a lot more, especially our very best wishes.

Chin and Willie - 2005

Chin and Willie - May 2005


But I digress.

Chin was in India for an extended holiday in Hyderabad. On his return trip, he stopped over in Mumbai. There, he visited our school on 23rd February. The school was devoid of students as it was a holiday to prepare for some examinations. (Wonder what major examinations are held in February?)

However, Chin managed, with his absolute charm, to meet with the current Physics Teacher, Ms. Chhaya Purwar. Sadly, Chin did not get a photograph of this delightful lady. This is what the dear lady said out OUR "Seventh Heaven".

I read the Seventh Heaven, in which Mrs Meena Bhatt's name appeared. We were working together in Bombay International school. She retired from there and joined Cathedral to start Learning Resource Centre for Dyslexics. Along with that, she brought me from Bombay International School to Cathedral School. We were together for about a decade. Interesting and amazing!!! The world is really small !!!


She guided Chin around the school and opened locked doors.

Chin is an amazing photographer and he has provided us with a set of gold nuggets.

Chin especially wanted it said:
1. Permission was granted for me to take the photographs, and
2. The photographs were possible due to the contribution of Mrs. Chhaya Purwar. She managed to get the keys to open locked doors (the assembly hall, and the chapel). Essentially, she gave me a guided tour of the school.


I intend to preface the next few entries over the course of the next few weeks with photographs from his collection with thanks attached to these two wonderful people who have made our lives so much richer by giving their time to assemble this collection.

The first 3 photographs are truly astounding for someone who thought he knew the school premises inside out. I had, on many occassion, with the hammals, wandered through wht I thought was every nook and corner of the school, not only during Saturdays and Sundays, but also when it was absolutely quiet during the summer and winter holidays.

Chin and Chhaya have got me totally foxed by a these photographs of what was a hidden Chapel in the school.

To quote Chin again:

These are pictures of the stained glass windows and paintings that were recently discovered during renovations. I don't think anyone was aware of the chapel's presence.








While working my life with those "cheap and shoddy" materials known as "plastics" :-), I became a great devotee to the subject of Art Glass. Over the years, I have managed a very small collection of them. I appreciate the beauty of glass, as Finns, especially, are creators of beauty in this material.

So, these pictures are especially of great interest to me.

I have asked Chin to let me know where exactly this hidden chapel is situated. Stay tuned for more news and photographs.

And finally, one more line about 59er Jack Haskell. He has just sent me another of his outstanding renditions, "Afternoon in Paris", with Wayne Baldwin on the piano and Jake on the bass. Thanks Jake.

1 comment:

Chhaya Purwar said...

It was a pleasure to meet you and show an alum of Cathedral around the new school building. However if I had know that you had your own blog online, where you would post a story about me, I would have insisted that you take a photograph with me and post it online as well!! :o) Haha, just kidding!