59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Nostalgia is not JUST for us boisterous boys!

69er Barbara Mont Rossi from Italy sent in this email:

subject: back in school again

Dear Jacob

hooray for all the fantastic descriptions you have added to your blog of school in your days, but also in ours and in many cases still today!

One thing I surely can add to your memories is a precious Hymn book, which accompanied us every day in the Girls' School and then also in the Boys' School turned coed to our great joy and confusion!

here it is


1969 Hymn Book, photo courtesy Barbara.



now turn to hymn 656a and sing
and did those feet...................

ciao!

Barbara


Who is Barbara?

This was a comment left on the blog in March 2006 by 63er Ian Deane from UK (not meant to embarrass you, Barbara!).

Hi,

Have just been sent this site by an "OLD" 63 friend Adil Gandhy.

I was in the A level class of 63/64.

Have been spending a lazy but very interesting Sunday looking through all the blogs!

I remember Barbara Rossi (pretty girl with curly hair!), but even more so her Dad, Cesare, who owned racehorses in Bombay in the 50s and 60s.

My parents knew hers quite well!

I live in the UK and have a business that exports horses (for breeding) to India (mainly) ... just wanted to comment on your very informative article!

Thanks!

Ian


The sweetness of those "curly locks" still come through in her emails! :-)

I am glad that we have sorted out the hamal issue by establishing that there were at least 3 of them: Ranchod, the Head Hamal, Boga, who was our meticulous clock-watching Bell Ringer, and Bhagwan, who seems to have been everywhere!

This is what Willie (Shiri, not Patel) from Canade wrote:

Yes indeed, Jacob, it was no one else but Boga the Physics lab hamal who rang the school bell (which was the real thing, not a piece of sh.. I mean, scrap off the railway track !)

He was meticulous about seconds, stationing himself under the bell well before time, one eye on the Physic slab clock and one hand on the bell, ready to swing it as the clock struck. I can still see him so poised !

Willie


That is indeed my first memory of school as I joined in Standard VI, where the late Derek Timmins, Savage Senior House Master, was my class teacher. The school bell was just a few feet away from where I sat in the class.

er>

School Chapel, Photo by 59er Hasnain Chinwalla.


Little did I know then that there was this undiscovered fantastic Chapel just a few feet behind me!

And 56er Ubi has added this in his recent email:

Subject: From Where to Where

Dear Jacob,

I am quite pleased that the school hamals have elicited so much interest and correspondence. I always felt that enough importance was never paid to their role in our development and that of the faculty!

Willie Shiri and Bill (although we remember him as Willie) Patel must be right about Boga!

And it does appear that Joe D'Souza was Savage!!

How remiss of me not to remember that!

I received a photocopy of CJO's farewell article in the COBA magazine from Ravi Nangia. More about that later.

Regards,

Ubi


Like Ubi, I hang my head in shame for not remembering that Joe D'Souza was our Savage Junior House Master! I am trying to locate the pictures that Wllie has referred to, as after the incident of The Borderer, i do not trust my memory any longer!

Thank you all (from 49er Yezad in Delhi to 69er Barbara in Italy) for these great inputs. The hits to the blog have sky-rocketed these last few days. It shows that all this nostalgia is catching. But don't just sit there reading. Send me more!

No comments: