59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Now I am upside down!

This email from our Physics Teacher Willie Shiri has me all in a dither. Now I am am not sure who is who!

Dear Jacob and Annikki,

Sorry I have been out of touch. In fact that has been the case with all my email contacts who, like me, only send Fws to keep in touch !

(And then you wonder why no one sends any personal mail any more !)

It is all because of my current preoccupation with the clarinet . I have lessons but progress is SLOW ! Must be my age. I still strive .... to justify having the instrument !

Well, re. Ranchod.

I interrupted my perusal of the Jacob-blog (I am afraid I have to catch up with unread one or two back numbers) to call Bill and Homai Patel, Florida, for inf.

Ranchod: Bill says that R was really like the Head-Hamal of staff welfare, served us tea in the Staff Rm or to invitees on special occasions, and that sort of thing.

I remember the Physics Hamal those days was Boga - remember him ? - Often assisted by a slim tall guy called Bhagwan, who was still there after Boga retired, or returned to 'Muluk'.

As far as I remember, Boga helped at both the labs.

Joe D'Souza was a Junior House Master ; don't know which House, but he is seated in the centre in one or two House photos you must have in your collection.

Later he must have become a Senior H.M.

If I find the answer from one of the old boys I am in touch, I'll email you.

No, Joe was the only D'Souza at that time.

His current whereabouts not known.

I'm sure Greg will throw more light on the subject.

Hasnain Chinwalla is just back here after a long holiday of 10 weeks in Mumbai where he says there were frequent get-togethers of many Old Boys.

Fond regards.

Willie


So whom I thought was Ranchod was actually Boga. But did Boga ring the school bell or Ranchod?

Now I am absolutely sure I am really growing OLD.

I had an email from Zahid who pointed out that not only had I blogged the front cover of the 1961 Borderer that I had received from John Billington, but I had promised to digitize it and put it up.

He asked me to look through it and find out the House Master so to resolve the issue of Mr. Joe D'Souza.

I could not believe my eyes when I read this. I looked in the place where I keep all the Cathedral paraphernalia - and there, still sitting in the envelope was the letter and the copy of the Borderer.

As promised, I will start to digitize it this week and send the Issue back to John.


Pages 32 and 33 from the 1961 Issue of The Borderer


Coming to the subject of Mr. D'Souza - as can be seen from the above åpicture, in 1961 he was the Junior House Master for Savage House, exactly as I had recalled!

Thank you Zahid for bringing me back to my senses!

No comments: