59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Hold it, guys and gals

I just wrote an email to some of you about one of my planned articles - School Bus Routes, as a continuation of my take on Marine Drive. Before I could say "Dead Chicken", my mailbox was flooded with several of you giving me great inputs about "your" bus routes through the ages.




(Thanks to 69er Barbara in Milano, Italy for sending me these which were contained in the 1958 School Prospectus!)

When I think back about my bus route No 2 in 1954 to 1956 (not exactly seen in the above routes) - from School, along in front of the University and the High Court, to Cooperage Road, where I was the first on, down past the front of BEST, down Colaba Causeway towards Strand, across to the road on the left before Radio Club, turning in near the Nanking Chinese Restaurant, behind the Regal and out in front of Dhanraj Mahal and then along in front of Elphinstone College to Flora Fountain, the Junior School, the side of the Girl's school and to end at the boys school. It was a journey which was filled with meeting a lot of great friends every morning. And it used to cost us Rs. 5 per month!

60er Omaiama Tayabji and 56ers - the late Tara Malkani, Michael Tahseen and Sudhir Grover, were some of those who shared the route with me. I am sure many of you are going to tell me about your route as well the friends who were on the bus with you. Plus, I am going to hear of some interesting experiences, especially of the teenage crushes that bloomed on many routes! ;-)

I just can't wait to hear from you.

From the emails I have received so far, I am going to enjoy writing this article!

No comments: