59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Photographs continued...

I have so many positive comments about the two photograph series that I am running that I must fill in this post with two more pictures that provoke nostalgia.


Assembly Hall, photograph from
the 59er Hasnain Chinwala / Chhaya Purwar collection


/Flash: Just after I put up the above picture, Hasnain sent me an email saying that the young lady who is dressed in a yellow salwar Kameez on the left is Chhaya Purwar, Physics Teacher in the school.)

In this first picture of our Assembly Hall I see the lectern. Was it the one that many of us stood at and read the Bible?

According to Hasnain the Assembly Hall was being prepared for exams, so that may explain that the famous Table Tennis tables not being propped up at the side of the Hall. But then, do they still play TT in the Hall?

In keeping with the Assembly Hall theme, I decided to publish the picture of the man who was our Principal during our time in the school.


Bernard Gunnery,
Principal during my time in school (1954 to 1959)


There was a love hate relationship between many and Mr. Gunnery. He was a person who did not mix very well, but those who knew him personally said that he cared very much for the school.

I used to see him at the St. Thomas Cathedral every Sunday. The Assembly was also the other main time when we got to see him. I did not see him at many of the sporting events in which the school was taking part. Maybe someone else can give me a feedback on their views of the person who introduced our School and Prefects tie in 1954?

I had feedback from 49er Naval Patel to confirm that income tax expert, Soli Dastur, brother of the late 47er Jal Dastur, was definitely a Cathedralite, possibly a 50er.

No comments: