59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A tragic passing

Age creeps up on all of us, and we have to pass on. But, I must report the absolutely unnecessary passing away of 47er Jal Dastur, who was hit bit a vehicle last October and passed away.

(Please click on the image to see a readable version of the text.)


47er Jal dastur

49er Naval Patel, who lives in Mysore, sent me the above piece from the Parsiana magazine. I did not know Jal, but have on a few occasions many moons ago met with his brother, the renowned tax expert Soli.

As was recorded by Naval in his email to me:

Dear Jacob,

Browsing through a Parsiana magazine about four months old, I read with regret an obituary for Jal Dastur.

Jal was of the Cathedral Class of 1947, a real gentleman, even in school days.

He qualified as a Chartered Accountant, and was, I am told a renowned, and more essentially a truly respected, practitioner in Bombay thereafter.

An aspect I recall further about Jal was his eccentric but effective "half-volley" style at table tennis. It was not gainly but he would win against all except those who had fierce topspin or extreme speed of drives.

Curiously he played badminton with a similar style but which was nowhere as effective in that game.


All regards

Naval Patel

No comments: