59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Wow! You guys are quick

Within minutes of my last blog entry I had a feedback from former Head Boy, Savageite, 57er Bhupinder Singh Anand.

There is a glaring omission in the Head Boys Board, a picture of which I published in my last entry. And it concerns one of our dearest 59er friends - Vijay Nayar.

Ooky, Vijay and Shivi

Three of our many outstanding 59ers
Ooky (Elijah Elias), Vijay Nayar and Vijay Shivdasani


Bhupi says that Vijay was the Head Boy in the first half of 1960 and was followed by Trevor Newnes. That must be incorrect as I do think that 58er Karl Andres was Head Boy for part of 1960. Question is - which part?

59 Prefects

Take a look at the above picture of Prefects for 1959. Vijay is in the top row, third from left.

60 Prefects

Now take a look at the picture of the Prefects of 1960, where Karl is the Head Boy.

Vijay is not in this picture!

Had he already gone to study in Somerset, England, or was that in the following year? I cannot remember the name of the school, but was it Milford?

Surprisngly, also missing from this picture is Viney Sethi, who also went to study in a school in Dulwich in South London, England called Dulwich College.

Was Vijay the Head Boy in the latter half of 1960 or the first half on 1961? Am I wrong in thinking that Viney was also Head Boy for a period and that his name may also be missing from the Board?

I do know Bhupi is right that Vijay was Head Boy - but which year, and what was the correct sequence?

Vijay was Indian Squash Champion for several years, he was an outstanding cricketer with his slow left arm spin bowling, he was a great hocky player, playing alongside me for two years, and he was also one of our top table tennis players. (Am I missing anything, Vijay, as I seem to remember you also playing football for the school?)

Once we 59ers get this right, maybe some active 59er in Mumbai will petition the school to get the Board corrected!

No comments: