59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Budni proposes a concept

57er Dr. Behram Badhniwalla (known affectionately as Budni), the man behind the 57er movement, sent me a very interesting email.

I will post the entire idea he suggested. But before that, I thought I would give you my take on this.

You are free to enter comments on the idea by clicking the Comments Button at the bottom of this blog entry. Positive and negative comments are welcome, so that Budni can then draw up a Master Plan so as to vitalise all Cathedralites, Past, Present and Future.

Budni's first premise is absolutely correct. Not all Cathedralites are from the "super-rich" class or even the "rich" class. Most of us have come lower and upper middle class backgrounds and most of us have entered and worked our professional lives so as to earn, save and enjoy a reasonably good life.

Budni's second premise is also very true in that good health is vital, but for circumstances beyond our control we could land up in a hospital and then be stung for doctor and hospital fees far outside our financial capabilities.

Living in Finland, where we have universal health care, it is something I would not worry about myself. Also as 99.9% of Finns belong to Unions, and Unions, such as mine, give me comprehensive Travel Health Insurance (100% cover) even after I have retired, should I travel to India and fall ill, I do not really have to be worried.

However, how many can boast this level of cover? Not many outside Scandinavia.

Budni gave me an example how, when he fell ill just a few days ago, even though he knew the doctors and the hospital was one he has good contacts, his bill for 6 days in the hospital was Rs. 24000 (Euro 500) after discounts.

That is a hefty sum for anyone from the lower middle class.

Budni's concept is to start a Cathedral Medical Foundation.

This is part of what he wrote (his full concept follows later):

Remember all of us are not covered by insurance so if we can create a Medical Fund in India, by voluntary contribution and make a Trust. The trust funds are handed over, to some good hospital (Like Jehangir Hospital in Pune or Bombay Hospital/Breach Candy/etc, etc with a provision for free/very nominal cost treatment for any Cathedralite over the age of 60 years.


This idea has given a great and new focus to the Reunion Plans for 57ers. It will not just be a question of getting together, but to focus the energies of a group of intelligent 57ers who have lived active lives around the world on a concept to help those Cathedralites who could be in need of assistance at a crucial time of their lives.

Although Budni focused on the benefits to those who may need access to such a FUND, my take is that it could be the motivation for more of our students to get involved with the noble profession as they spread themselves around the world and bring our Cathedralite morality standards to bear on their communities.

And here is Budni's post:

"The Cathedral Medical Foundation”


The Class of 57’s gift to all Senior Cathedralites
OUR G2G CONTRIBUTUON


The greatest gift our batch can give back, to our Alma Mater is a Medical Foundation, for the senior citizen Cathedralites, globally.

For a long time it has been on my mind, about a year ago I did mention this to someone from our batch!

This suggestion is based on the fact that today hospital admissions in India and overseas cost an arm & a leg. Although overseas Cathedralites do have state medical benefits, but the period of waiting is far too long for major surgery and a private surgery would cost both arms & a leg overseas. This is also true in case of medical admissions.

Today India is advancing in professional management of the medical fraternity. In fact the new fast growing business is ‘Medical tourism’, combining medical treatment in India + a short holiday, post - treatment! For the overseas chaps, it falls far cheaper than a private treatment in their current homeland. So with this concept in mind, I have been toying with this Idea, for quite some time, for us middle-class senior citizen Cathedralites!

Remember all of us are not covered by insurance so if we can create a Medical Fund in India, by voluntary contribution and make a Trust. The trust funds are handed over, to some good hospital (Like Jehangir Hospital in Pune or Bombay Hospital/Breach Candy/etc., etc., with a provision for free/very nominal cost treatment for any Cathedralite over the age of 60 years.

My seniors & teachers taught us medicine, where, the patient came first, then the financial benefits. Unfortunately this is not true today, and it is honestly a business & no more a profession. So what happens to a not so affluent person? I am sure many of us may have experienced the dilemma!

Looking back retrospectively many of us at school did not necessarily come from affluent families. Many of the cathedralites specially the Anglo-Indians & others were on free or on scholarship! Adding up all these factors, many of our chaps are still not very well financially, I think a Medical Foundation for the senior citizen cathedralites, would be an excellent venture, and a gift from the Class of 57!

Take my own example lately I had to be admitted once again for COPD and peripheral cyanosis. One full day in the ICU & 2 days, in a private room cost Rs.31.000/-. Thanks to J. Jehangir, (Ex-Cathedralite), I paid only Rs.24,000/-!! (Hey JJ, Carmie & I deeply appreciate your kind gesture!)

Please don’t misunderstand me - I am not, for one moment crying poverty, Carmie & I are very comfortable with our finances, but I know for sure, in the days to come people like us, both here in India & our overseas chaps, can easily get wiped out on medical expenses. So why not find a self help solution...and extend it universally for all Senior citizen Cathedralites?

It is not how affluent one is, but how much one has to spend on each admission. This is the key question and how long will our funds last?

We can raise funds thro various means, like in 1982, I did a musical show "An Affair to Remember", at the Rang Bhavan for the Handicapped Children of Mumbai i.e., "The fellowship of the Physically Handicapped" also known as FPH (Opp Haji Ali). I had raised in those day approximately Rs. 165,000/- for the FPH. (That was a lot of money in 1982)

We can have sponsors, fashion shows & we can start an active voluntary participation by all of us. Please also remember some of our teachers are still alive over “80”++, who could benefit!

There will be many of us who can contribute – I mailed this to our Jacob Matthan. He was quite taken up by this idea, and is coming back to me, as also work out a P.O.A.

People could toy with this IDEA a little more - and come back and surprise me ;-)

I am going to try, and do my best to make this a success. I am quite a determined chap. U must have judged me by now, and as more heads are better than one, people let’s all pitch into this project together, for one can achieve the impossible, if we stand focused & united.

Please also remember some of our teachers still alive over “80”++, who could benefit!

I know, as in all major achievements there is bound to be oppositions. Well, all I can say is if we keep politics out and some serious search with in, there will be more light in our lives! The modalities could be discussed later!

I would be the first to commit Rs. 100,000/- towards this trust and that is my word!

People, nothing is impossible!

Impossible is a routine affair if u have experienced living on the edge, it is those ‘miracles’ which take up extra time! Specially if u believe in the good Lord himself!

If I did not believe in this, maybe I would still be an old man hobbling on crutches!!

So till u all come back on this....take care & stay healthy!

Cheers
Budni


"...maybe I would still be an old man hobbling on crutches!!"


Budni in 1956 - note a crutch under his arm.


Those words went straight to my heart.

I remember Budni, on his crutches, in school, taking part in everything he could take part in. He was there at the Lemondrop Cricket competition cheering his team. He was here, there, and everywhere.


Budni with his charming and beautiful wife Sheila Carmelita.


Who would have believed that Budni would ever throw them away, become a doctor and serve the people with such devotion.

May I suggest that all of you take this suggestion seriously and work on it, so that within the next 10 months we have a concrete plan to work on.

This is not something new or unusual. The Plastics Institute, of which I used to be a member from 1963, had a Benevolent Fund especially meant for Senior Citizens.

All it needs is the courage and drive of people like Budni to make this take off and fly.

No comments: