59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Monday, September 24, 2007

Always nice to get emails from Ubi

It is always nice to get emails from 56er Ubi as he has so much to teach me and also by being on the spot, his info is so alive! His latest email did however raise some cause for concern about his health:

Dear Jacob,

Apologies for not being punctual.

I have had a bit of a problem with my eyesight and the house is being painted as well at the same time.

I am having my good eye attended to but it will take a few weeks to sort out totally.

The computer seems to give me the most problems!

David Haskell's email is ellen@gezer.org.il

Anil Akhaney, who was originally a 56er, I believe is no more.

Incdentally, Vinod Nayar was 58 and Ashalata Guha (nee Bakhle) was 54 or 55. Not 56.

Saw your write up on the 59 Mini Reunion.

Great.I remember the cricketing feats of Trevor Newnes and how the late A.F.S.T. Talyarkhan used to write glowingly of Trevor's Kanga League exploits. He used to propogate Trevor as a possible India cricketer!

I also remember, so well, that epic 800 metre race at the Brabourne Stadium when Trevor beat a tiring Tara Malkani to the tape!

Tara had never been beaten before that, but in all fairness, 100 and 200 metres were his forte.

The 800 metre race, if I recalll correctly, was an Old Boys' versus The Present race at the annual athletics day.

As soon as I can have my vision corrected, I will write at length on the other issues you have written about.

Regards,

Ubi..


With such correspondents, there is no need for this guy in the Arctic, except the heat generated causes me to emerge from my frozen stupor!

Fleur, do take note of 57er David Haskell's email address.


1958 Cricket Team.


Surprisingly, Trevor was not in this line up! Wonder why? Was it Jimmy and Nalin held sway?

What Ubi says about Trevor is so true. He had a very easy and smooth run up and he could really get some pace on the ball. Trevor and Ooky used to practice together, but Ooky had to put much more effort to generate the same pace. We 59ers had one more great pace bowler, who did play for Maharashtra or Bombay Juniors, I think. He was the late Sudan Sathe. He generated fantastic pace, but was very wayward at times.

Nnalin Dharia also used to whip up some speed but he was strongly built unlike the other three. Jimmy Tata also bowled fast medium, but I recall him hitting the ball out of the ground more than I recall his bowling.


1959 cricketing trio Ashok KaƄpur behind the stumps,
Vijay Nayar with his left arm spin and Trevor Newnes
with his fast medium, at the Mini Reunion of 59ers
in Mumbai Sunday before last!


I cannot remember the pace bowlers in our side prior Ooky, Trevor Jimmy and Nalin. I think 59er Hussain also used to bowl at a fair pace.

I have been waiting for the final of the Twenty20 between India and Pakistan in Johannesburg. By sheer luck I was able to pick up audio commentary here in Finland of the semi-finals. I am hoping the link, which is that of a bookmaker in England serving his clients, will work again today! They said they were likely to come on air only 2 or 3 minutes before the start of the game, if at all! It has come on stream just now! And India got 13 in that first over with a 6 from Pathan.

So far I have been satisfied with the text commentary from CricInfo.com!

I can recall the spin magic of late Kirtee Dungersee, Ernest Haskell and Vijay Nayar. Noel Ezekiel was also good on his day.

Let me have your photos and your thoughts!

My prayers are with you, Ubi, for a speedy recovery, both for your eye and your computer.

No comments: