59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Friday, September 21, 2007

Talk with a 57er

A few days ago, as 57er Tony Jaitly had given me the telephone number of 57er Deepak Melwani in London, I had dialed. Unfortunately Deepak was not in. I left a message on the answer phone for him.

This afternoon, Deepak called back. Of course, he did not remember whom I was, but I certainly remembered him. It was a great chat.

Deepak is retired and lives in London. He lost an eye in a squash accident way back in 1987, but he said it had had no serious effect on his life and he was back and about a few days after the event.

He reminded me of his elder brother, Ramesh, who still lives in Mumbai. But then I got a shock when he reminded me of his younger brother, Rajen Melwani, who was in our 59er class, but left in the 6th or 7th standard to go to school in Gwalior. Sadly, Deepak informed me that Rajen had passed away about 15 years ago.

Deepak is very much looking forward to the 57er Reunion. He has had news from Arjun Waney, who lives in the south of France and is doing wonders running a chain of restaurants, mainly Japanese. Deepak is also in touch with Ranjit Mathrani, whose wife runs a chain of restaurants in London.

It looks as if the 57ers could have some great food related events during the reunion.

Deepak's wife is already going to India on the 6th of October. Deepak will follow a few weeks later and will be in Mumbai the whole of November. His daughter manages his email address, so he will get any messages that are sent to him.

It was truly a nostalgic feeling to talk with a 57er after all these years. I do not think he could place me. However, that is not important, as at least I got a good interview of a 57er for my blog!

No comments: