59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Monday, March 22, 2004

Narayan says Bangalore is calamity


Narayan Acharaya (Sexy, formerly Sesachar) a 59er has returned from a recent visit to his home town, of Bangalore. Bangalore is also my birthplace and my home town. Narayan wrote to say:

" I was recently in Bangalore to see my mother. I don't know when you last went there, but I was shocked at what automobile exhausts have done to that "Garden City". By the time of my departure, I was dreading coming down from my mother's fourth-floor flat to the fume-filled streets."

I fully agree with him. On my last visit to that city, in 2000, it took over 50 minutes to go from the north to the south, a journey, which a few years ago would have taken just 15 minutes. Luckily, I was in an air-conditioned car as otherwise I would have choked on the fumes.

I have noticed the same issue being raised by one of my regular correspondents from Mumbai, Prakash Thadani (69er) who wrote to me:

"Mumbai has become suddenly very warm with temps touching nearly 37 degrees. Mumbaites are all shocked to notice the heavy smog or fog enveloping our city starting around 11 pm till 9 am."

When I pointed out that Mumbai was relatively lucky as it had the evening sea-breeze to clear the smog in the evening, but that drastic steps would have to be taken, as was in London in the late 1960's, Prakash replied:

"About the severe fog and smog in Mumbai there is an active campaign going on to phase out petrol and diesel taxis. They are being converted into CNG Compressed Natural gas. All taxis over 15 years are not being allowed to ply. Even now they are stopping trucks and buses over 15 years old. All this is met with some opposition all the time. For 2 days truckers went on strike so there was no vegetables and grains coming into the city. The traffic police are always on the prowl. One has to get an emmision control certificate for any vehicle. The Cert is to be pasted on the windscreen but how many owners follow this? Then petrol pumps have this huge notice "No petrol for cars without PUC cert". But do they ever check your vehicle? if you are caught with an invalid PUC cert you are fined 100 rupees, but you can pay the cop 20 bucks and getaway. The BMC also has a drive not to burn any garbage in gardens and street corners, but daily uneducated gardeners continue to burn garbage. Not only that, this year, for Holi yesterday over 5000 trees were hacked and burned , but no one dared to speak up about it. Half the citizens of Mumbai suffer from bronchial asthma, yet, no one realises the hazards caused by all these practices. Even the educated in the city turn a blind eye to these unhealthy practices. I have been continuously writing letters to the civic authorities about these practices going on and even bringing it to their notice when it happens. But one lone voice how much can it be heard? Many more citizens have to get involved and create an awareness so that the gardeners and others do not carry on burning whatever refuse, whenever they like."

I am sure Mumbai Cathedralites are not indifferent to this. Why not put out a helping hand of encouragement to Prakash in Mumbai. is this a challenge for all other Cathedralites around India to take this as OUR CAUSE?

No comments: