59er Golden Reunion Directory

59er Golden Reunion Directory
59er Golden Reunion Directory

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

We lose one from our midst


I was informed that Alex Colaco, third in the Colaco clan, who were such outstanding members of the Cathedralite family, passed on to be in the presence of Our Lord on 7th June 2003.

David, 59er, and second of the Colaco's who is one of our regular readers, informed me of this sad news in his email of this morning.

The Colaco's were the song birds of our school in the 50's. Michael, the eldest was Dame Scarlet in "The King of Sherwood", and he played Mrs. Mustapha (Aladdin's widowed mother) in "Aladdin and Out" in which next brother, David, was one of the Court Ladies.

Although I used to see Alex in church, as he was one of the younger boys, I was not personally familiar with him, but if he was anything like the elder two Colaco brothers, he must have been an outstanding character. Both the elder boys were in the Cathedral Church Choir during my time and led the choir with their melodious soprano voices. Michael rendered several solos where I used to sit enthralled and hope that I could sing like him.

I hope all of you will join me in sending belated condolences to the Colaco family, through David, in that we pray for Alex and his peaceful sleep till his day of resurrection when he will be once again reunited again with his loved ones.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alex Colaco was my best friend !!
In school until the 9th standard he NEVER came second in class. At house meetings ( Wilson ) Mr Howell would always make him stand up and praise him to the skies and told all of us Wilsonites that we should all be like Alex in our studies.
When the Colaco family migrated to the UK, my parents and I moved to Sydney,Australia - there I became a Marine Engineer ,and went to sea.When my ship was in London I always met Alex,and was treated most hospitably by his dear parents Dr and Mrs Colaco.
When I got married in Israel - needless to say, Alex flew in for my wedding.
Then after another 12 years when I was on holidays with my wife and three kids in the UK , Alex was always with us, he showed us around,and got real close to all of us. At the airport when we left London,we all had tears in our eyes. Little did I realise that this would be the last time that I would see my most dear and trusted friend for the last time in this world - hopefully Ill catch up with him "on the other side ".
My sincere condolences to Michael,David,Basil and Cecil. Take care you all.
Fondest memmories
Aby Benjamin